Lots of students may to not too much concern about that there are various institutes in India providing specialized post graduate programs in several disciplines including engineering. Also, there are many privileges given to students who qualify through GATE exams such as attractive scholarship is provided, assistantship is provided for various courses in engineering in famous engineering colleges of India etc. Most of the colleges in India requires GATE exam as compulsory qualification to take admissions in postgraduate programs. The candidates needed to be aware of the selection process & the award of scholarship or assistantship in various colleges of engineering. Students’ cracked GATE exams are also qualified for the award of junior research fellowship in CSIR Laboratories.
What is GATE?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or GATE is an exam conducted on all India basis in eight zones throughout the country by GATE Committee consists of faculties from Bangalore & seven Indian Institutes of Technology, Indian Institute of Science Technology on behalf of National Coordinating Board – GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), & Govt. of India.
Objective of GATE
The main objective of conducting GATE exam is to find out dedicated & meritorious students for admissions in various postgraduate programs in the field of engineering, architecture, technology & Pharmacy at National Level. These students in future will serve our nation in various fields.
Why should take GATE Exams:
- Master degree in Engineering/Technology will provide you specialization an you may also go for higher studies such as Ph.D .
- Master degree in Engineering/Technology is best for those candidates who want to apply for the positions in various educational Institutes/R&D
Important Dates of GATE
- GATE forms availability: 21st September, 2010
- Last Date to fill up the forms: 27th October, 2010
- Date of online Exam: 30th January, 2013
- Date of offline Exam: 13th February, 2013
- Declaration of GATE Exam Results: 15th March, 2013
Pattern of GATE Question Paper:
- The GATE exam is of three hours duration that includes 65 Questions of 100 Marks.
- You have to choose subject of your interest & make preparation in accordance with the syllabus provided in the GATE brochure.
- The subjects of interest include Electronics and Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Instrumentation Engineering. Apart from that there are also some other subjects that you can opt for such as Mathematics, Physics, etc.
- Scores and grades of qualified candidates in GATE will provide them All India Rank & indicate percentile score such as candidates who score 99 means they are in the top 1% category of the candidates who appeared for GATE.
- Candidates who scores below 70 percentages of marks get no score card.
- The validity of GATE scores is for 2 years. After two years you may re-appear the GATE exam and can consider the scores of new exam for the purpose of admissions if you score better than the old one.
Students pursuing M.Tech are eligible for a scholarship of RS 8000/month by the Govt. of India. The amount is enough for living expenses and also for purchase of study material, etc. This amount of scholarship will be paid for the entire 18 months of M.Tech duration.